Monday, September 12, 2011

Why I Walk: Kevin Cook

Why I walk...
I walk because I can; I feel like it’s my duty to walk for all who cannot.

While I lost many close personal friends whom I keep in my heart and mind, especially on AIDS Walk day, I walk for those who had no one during their final days, whose friends and families turned their backs on them. In the late 80’s and early 90’s, I witnessed a lot of that--and surely there were many whom I never met or knew very well, but who deserve nonetheless to be remembered.

When our Community first was hit and we started losing friends and loved ones, the Drag Community jumped right in and began raising funds and awareness. To date, sadly, I can list over 100 drag performers who we have lost, among those my closets and dearest friends who created and shaped the entertainer I have become. Most of what I do these days in my “career” is dedicated to them--being a successful full-time drag performer and emcee is possible because of their guidance and inspiration. The many times Poison Waters has emceed the AIDS Walk has been my “toast” to these “ladies”.

I walk for my ”sisters” Misty, Rosey and Lady Elaine Peacock.
I walk for those we’ve lost who had no friends and family.
I walk because it’s the very least I can do for those who cannot.

I love the sense of Community the Walk provides. When I was a teen I wanted to do ANYTHING I could to help raise awareness of HIV/AIDS and show support for my Community. The Walk allows everyone to participate through this very simple act of joining. No matter a person's age or financial situation, everyone can be a part of this very important Community event.

While I’m sure I’ve been walking since the early 90’s, I know this will be my 11th consecutive year on the Camp Starlight Team! My birthday is September 17 and I always get most of my donations around that time. I send messages and reminders to my friends and family via e-mail, Facebook and texting, asking for donations to AIDS Walk instead of birthday gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment