Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why I Walk: Haydenn Harper

Why I walk...
In 2008, the Center for disease Control and Prevention reported that 48 percent of all people living with HIV/AIDS were African American, 53 percent of all deaths related to the virus were from African Americans, men who have sex with men account for 51% of all new HIV infections every year and 45 percent of people living with HIV are men who have sex with men. As a gay black man, I feel it is my responsibility to educate others and raise awareness around this issue for my peers and loved ones. The AIDS Walk is a great way for everyone to not only raise awareness of HIV/AIDS in the Portland community, but to educate themselves and other people on HIV/AIDS related issues.

I walk for Queer People of Color. Our stories are rarely ever told and when they are, our voices aren't always listened to. I walk for this community because it is a community that needs to be there for each other. We cannot be silenced and we cannot be ignorant. Education and unity is critical to our community because without it we won't have the support we need from each other and can become more prone to the HIV/AIDS virus than we already are.

HIV/AIDS affects the two communities I identify with directly. The virus has affected the African American and Queer communities more than any other population in the country. The walk is important to me because it raises awareness of the virus which will help prevent more infections, gathers more community support for people living with HIV/AIDS so they know they are not alone in the battle, and it raises funds to prevent the spread of the virus and hopefully bring us closer to a day in which it will no longer exist.

This will be my first time walking and I am honored to be a part of the movement.

I tell everyone who is close to me about it. Friends, family, classmates and colleagues. I spread the word in every way I can and know I am not alone in that effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment