Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Why I Walk: Drew Picard

Why I walk...
I walk for those that cannot, plain and simple. It's a somewhat cliche and cheesy response, I know; however, I feel as though it is one that is never expressed enough.

This ailment has affected so many people and it will be years before we touch the lives of everyone that it has changed. Our participation, yours as well as mine, shows the world how much we care and that we are not going to just stand by while it takes another life. Just as with the other obstacles we face through out our lives, this battle will be won with massive involvement. This world has yet to see what we are all capable of, if we just stand up together for what we believe in and the people we care about.

So, I walk to show even just one more person that I am here to make a difference--one step at a time!

I have many friends that are affected by HIV/AIDS and whose lives have changed because of it. Yet, I see strength in all of them. Never once have any of them stopped living. I walk for all of my friends, in their name and for my own.

This walk is important to me, for it shows that we are willing to band together and fight for the truth, and for our beliefs. We get our chance to show that we are a force to be reckoned with and that we will fight long and strong for everyone that needs our help.

This will be my second year actually walking, but third year in participation. I have enjoyed playing many roles and lending a hand when ever I can. It's been a blast so far this year, and it's only going to get better!

It's hard to find a person that is not already informed or knowledgeable about the walk or what we do. Still, I spread the word and try to get people involved any way I can. Working at my bar provides a steady influx of customers that are willing to help with donations and even volunteer to walk. It is truly awesome to see the city organize and band together to show support. Way to go Rose City!

No comments:

Post a Comment