Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why I Walk: Greg Bear

Why I walk...
I walk to help keep a local "public face" on AIDS, here in the Pacific NW communities. In this day and age of instant messaging, and sound bites, I believe people tend to forget that the disease is still happening around them.

I believe that since people are now living with AIDS, and not dying of AIDS in numbers that once existed, that we tend to forget that it still kills people from all walks of life. A walk brings the community together to congregate with like-minded people, to laugh, cry, and share with those people. And then to show Unity in the walk, to show others and remind them that AIDS does still affect us within our community.  This disease is not something that just happens elsewhere; it is happening here around us.

I walk for the memory of those who can no longer walk because of this disease. I also walk for those who are ill, and living their lives in spite of AIDS. I walk with others who also might have AIDS, who walk in Unity, who walk to put a public face on AIDS.

I walk for those I've known who fell to the disease. There are so many who have died of AIDS that I am sorry to say I can no longer even remember many of their names. I can still see them, when I think of them, but can't remember them all. To name a few, would be Randy 'RADAR' Burdick, Chester Ester Hoffman, Bernie Sanford, Gene Males, Steve Shumate, RB Hyiatt 'Won Ton Desire', China, Peacock, Tree, and many others.

Part of the reason the walk is important to me is a gathering of community spirit. Gathering of survivors, whether of the disease itself or those left behind, to carry on for those who have passed before us. I am hoping that within my lifetime AIDS is cured--but that these walks will still carry on, in memory of those who have died. And a celebration of life, maybe, for what could have been. To celebrate the legacy of the community after AIDS.

I have been around for all 25 years of walks, but I worked at several gay bars, the first couple of walks, and celebrated with many of the participants, on both sides of the bar. I didn't start walking until the 3rd year, and then I walked the next 3 or 4 years. Then about every 5 years or so. This will be the 1st walk in some time, as my health was an issue for some years. Now I am in better health, and am looking forwards to showing my support once again.

I am a native Oregonian; I've lived in and around the Portland area since the early 1970's. I have been well known as a longtime former bartender, local gay newspaper columnist, videographer, and local gay archivist. I have many Facebook friends, ISRC contacts, and friends in the Bear community and Drag community. I am social network savvy. Also, I am gifted (cursed?) with gab.

Because of health considerations, I don't get out much, but I do a lot of social networking, mostly on FB, and that's how I gather support and raise awareness.
save

1 comment:

  1. Greg Bear! This is a shot in the dark! I can't find you on FB! Roscoe from Sandals suggested that I contact you! I am writing a paper detailing the demise of the "gay ghetto" The impact from the 70s cultural revolution, the AIDS epidemic, women that stepped in to assist and the effects of Gay Pride as it has transitioned over the years. The important gentrification aspects and then the departure of that connected contentedness as "life" took on a more liberal attitude. And of course the onslaught of technology and the impacts of losing face-to-face time. Oh reality! Why don't we "need" the ghetto anymore? Roscoe said that you might be a good start for a wealth of insight and information. If you would be interested in talking to me about your incredible experiences I would like to make some time to meet and discuss some of my points with you! You can find me on FB at Kelly Gajer! Thanks for your time! :)

    ReplyDelete