Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Andrew Shayde: Why I Walk

Why I walk...
I walk because Americans still die of AIDS. This is my 2nd Walk.

I was born in June 1981, the exact month that CDC released its first official statement about AIDS. I have never known a world without HIV/AIDS and I think people have grown complacent about the subject. Up to 80% of those living with HIV/AIDS are still gay/bi men and I want to walk to educate so that my friends don’t add to this statistic. I want to change the tide on this disease and lead the way to a decrease in infections by reminding people that HIV still lives here.

I walk for ‘Mo’ my first friend that I lost to AIDS. I went to his funeral where they said he passed of cancer because saying the word AIDS was apparently too controversial. I thought, people keep getting sick because we can’t say the word AIDS out loud.

Because, in America, up to 18,000 people still die of AIDS each year. More than 279,000 gay and bi men have been lost to the virus.

I am the Team Leader for The Ultimate Alliance: Superheroes for HIV. We are raising funds and dressing as our favorite Superheroes in the attempts to gain more attention back on the important topic of HIV/AIDS in Portland and to create a fun energy to help decrease the stigma placed on the words HIV/AIDS.

I work in HIV testing and counseling and I would LOVE to put myself out of a job by playing my role to help eradicate this disease. I’d rather flip burgers all day in a world without HIV.

1 comment:

  1. I have surpassed my goal of $500. Not I'm aiming to double it!

    ReplyDelete