Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Daren Parks: Why I Walk

Why I walk...
I walk because I believe that everyone deserves to live a life free from pain and suffering. I walk for my dear friend Louie, his family and his friends. We will never forget him.

The walk has always been a very important part of my life because I am gay. In the early 90’s I was approached by one of our Health Club Members inquiring if I would be his Personal Trainer. He told me that if anyone could help save his life, it was me. He said that I inspired him.

In speaking with him about his needs and goals, he informed me that he had been recently diagnosed with AIDS. He feared that he did not have long to live. I asked him how he had heard about me and he said that he had been observing me train clients for over 6 months and finally worked up the courage to speak to me.

He told me that he was embarrassed to tell someone he had AIDS and that he was terrified that I would judge him and refuse to train him. He had been turned down by 3 other fitness professionals. I began crying and assured him that his search was over.

I trained Louie for over a year and a half before he lost his battle with the disease. Our time together was much more than Personal Training. There were times that I trained him at home because he was too physically weak to get to the gym. I remember holding water for him so he could drink because he didn’t have any strength to hold the glass. I remember getting blankets for him to stop him from shivering. And there were times that I held him while he cried himself to sleep. I wanted him to know that he was loved.

Ironically, at the end of it all, it was his will to live and bravery that inspired me.

I began walking in the mid 80’s in Albuquerque, New Mexico by organizing a team, speaking at the event and leading the warm-up. I continued my involvement with the walk in Phoenix, Arizona and in Denver, Colorado. In all cities, I was instrumental in ensuring that our Health Club was a major sponsor and promoter for the event. Our Club served as a platform for meetings and kick-off parties.

I communicate my passion for the walk through work, social media, email, volunteer time and by giving back to the community.

We all have an opportunity to make the world a better place. The decision you make to help others must we done with diligence, commitment, passion and be relentless! It must come from the heart and be unselfish. There is always something you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment