Tuesday, September 7, 2010

CAP Program Highlight: Speakers Bureau

Cascade AIDS Project Speakers Bureau

The mission of CAP’s Speakers Bureau program is to build awareness and understanding of HIV through sharing stories, personal truths, and life experiences in order to mobilize communities to combat the pandemic. Comprised of a diverse group of individuals, CAP’s Speakers Bureau is available to provide a personal perspective of HIV. Whether in a school setting or for a community group, trained speakers will guide audience members through the basics of HIV, share personal stories related to HIV, and inspire participants to actively consider the impact of HIV in their own communities and across the globe.

CAP’s Speakers Bureau seeks to raise awareness and combat stigma, and to that end the Speakers Bureau works with individuals who are either infected or affected by HIV/AIDS. The speakers represent a broad diversity of backgrounds, while also sharing the common thread of knowing the impact of HIV firsthand. Speakers are well trained to deal with difficult questions and have experience talking with a broad array of audiences, from classroom to workplace, from college campus to community-based organization.

The Speakers Bureau was reconstituted in December 2009. In the first seven months, they were able to reach 864 individuals at 31 separate events. Even more impressive, 45% of Speaker audiences were comprised of people of color and 71% were youth under 19.

To request a speaker, go here. To read more about the Speakers available, go here.

What Speakers are saying:

By going to schools, churches and Migrant camps and sharing her story with others, she earned the respect and trust of the community. To this day, Maricela is active in the community promoting HIV prevention/awareness. “For me sharing my story with other has changed my life forever; it has helped me want to live. I have HIV, HIV does not have me. Why? Because I have it under control and I am not allowing it to control me!” --Maricela

“So, I made an appointment and had an HIV antibodies test. A week later, my doctor’s office was trying to contact me. At 6PM that night, the phone rang and it was my doctor. I knew that something was up. He told me that this was not the way he wanted to break the news to me. Then, several days later, I found out that I was his first HIV+ patient.” –Guy

“I've lost many friends to AIDS, but I've been fortunate to have a very supportive HIV negative husband for 25 years who has helped me get through it all. Although HIV is no picnic, it has helped me grow in ways that I don't believe I would have grown if not for the disease. I am a fighter and my first priority is my health.” --Rachel

What people are saying:

One student went home on Friday after meeting people living with HIV for the first time and asked her mother if she knew anyone living with HIV. Her mother replied Your Uncle.’ The student was shocked that no one ever told her until now. Thank you for opening dialogues and being willing to tell your stories in hopes that we can prevent future HIV cases.” – 7th Grade Teacher

To be perfectly honest, I was a bit nervous when I heard people with AIDS were coming to our school. But now I am happy you came. Thank you.” – 7th Grade Student

Sorry we missed you but the speaker did a GREAT job. I am sure that he shared my concerns [about condoms], he came around and did a great job!! I felt that the presentation is huge for these students and I truly appreciate your time! I look forward to seeing you next year!” – High School Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment